Thursday, September 13, 2007

Asset: High Expectations

High Expectations is one of forty developmental assets for teens, and in my opinion it is one of the most important. In serving the public sometimes there is a tendency to melt to the lowest common denominator, and while those patrons deserve service too, we can provide so much more.

I have heard adults in my community say that nobody ever talked to them as if they were expected to go college. That struck me very deeply, and I always try to promote college as an option for my teens.

I encouraged them to show me their report cards and gave out candy as a reward. I required a 3.0, an A in English or Reading, or marked improvement from last term to get the reward. Yes, that is high, but I don't think that is unreachable for most of my teens.

This fall I launched Amplify. Amplify is a leadership development program that requires a twice-weekly commitment. I decided that I would go forward with 12 teens and limit it to 20, I currently have 22 teens enrolled because I just couldn't turn them away. Only time will tell if they last the year, but I expect most of them will.

No comments: